California Dream Act (AB 540 Eligible)

Waives enrollment fees for non-residents

California is home to 20% of the nation’s undocumented immigrant population, approximately 10 million residents. Undocumented students are often the highest achieving of their peers and, with legal immigration status, will be able to obtain better jobs, earn more and contribute to California’s economy. It is essential that we invest in the future of all Californians, regardless of immigration status, and California community colleges are here to help.

Undocumented Student Resource Centers and Designated Liaisons are located on California community college campuses to provide answers and support for undocumented students of all nationalities and backgrounds. These resources provide a safe community for UndocuScholars and a judgement free place that makes it easer for students to focus on school and know they have support.


bank icon


There’s an easy way to find out. See below for the California Dream act requirements. If you find yourself nodding your head ‘yes’ while reading these three requirements, you just might be eligible!


Undocumented, Dream Act-eligible students should fill out a California Dream Act Application (CADAA) instead of the FAFSA. There is no need to fill out both applications. The CADAA is the first step to securing financial aid! Be sure to submit it by the March 2 Cal Grant deadline to get the most aid possible.

Have you attended three full-time years (or the equivalent of three full-time years) at any combination of the following?

  • A California high school?
  • A California adult school (including non-credit courses at a California community college)?
  • A California community college (maximum of two years of credit-bearing courses can count towards this requirement)?

Or have you…

  • Completed three years of California high school coursework and three years total attendance at a California elementary school, California secondary school, or any combination of the two?

Have You?

  • Graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent, such as a GED)?
  • Attained an associate's degree from a California community college?


  • Fulfilled minimum transfer requirements from a California community college to a CSU or UC campus?

After submitting your California Dream Act Application, complete an affidavit indicating you have filed (or will file when eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.

Have you said ‘yes’ to all three requirement sections? You just might be a Dreamer! Contact your college Admissions and Records office to determine if you in fact are a California Dream Act (AB 540 eligible) student.

In… Your… Realities.

Once you’ve applied for financial aid. your college dreams can become reality. Just follow these four steps:


Apply for financial aid before applying to your college!

  • First, see what classes are being offered at your California community college. Find your college.
  • Second, apply for the college of your choice.
  • Third, let the funds begin!
  • And finally, meet with a college counselor to develop an education plan to help you achieve your goals.
book icon

Dream Act Resources Resources for Students and Families:

What do I need to know if the DACA program ends?