Additional Aid & Support for Special Populations

As a thank you for your service, monetary and emotional resources are available

If you are a veteran returning from active duty, looking to learn new or improve upon existing skillsets, the California Community Colleges have you covered. With a variety of training and educational offerings, you could be on your way to a fulfilling career or a four-year college in no time.

Find Your Office

We offer hundreds of opportunities in multiple fields of work including:

  • Advanced manufacturing
  • Health care
  • Information technology
  • Renewable energy
  • Biotechnology
  • Manufacturing
  • Advanced transportation
  • Police and fire science
  • And hundreds of other options
Get Info Before You Enroll

To make enrolling in classes a little easier, you may be required to attend orientation, take an assessment, and meet with an academic counselor to determine which educational or career path is right for you. During these pre-enrollment activities, you’ll hear about your college’s various veteran support offerings.

Exclusive Aid For Veterans

In addition to financial aid, you also have veterans benefit opportunities. To check out your eligibility status and apply for your exclusive benefits, visit

The Perfect Path

As a veteran, you will receive priority registration across the entire California Community Colleges system. But before you apply to a campus, triple check that your chosen campus offers the classes you are looking for. 

Resourceful Resources

Many California community colleges have peer-run Veterans Resource Centers and veteran organizations like Boots to Books to aid in your educational transition. Search for a Veterans Resource Center near you.

Help Making Ends Meet

Has your income significantly changed due to unemployment? Or are you a recently discharged veteran who is currently unemployed or experienced a decrease in income? Be sure to check with your college financial aid office about a change of income status when applying for financial aid.

We've got your back!

NextUp, also known as CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support), provides community college students with resources that really make a difference. The program offers eligible current and former foster youth support and services that could include help with books and supplies, transportation, tutoring, food and emergency housing. Take a peek into all the perks right here.

California College Promise Grant Information For Foster Youth:

Foster youth and former foster youth (no more than 25 years old by July 1 of the award year) are not subject to loss of the California College Promise Grant under these regulations. Contact the financial aid office or registrar at your college for further assistance and to find out more.

Chafee Grant
Aid options that help with supplies, transportation, tutoring & emergency housing.

Past and present foster youth, this one’s for you! The funds from the Chafee Grant can be used for childcare, transportation and even rent while attending a California community college. More info is available here. Already interested? Fill out your Chafee Grant application here.

Success Is On The Horizon
Training for immediate employment or long-term professional success.

If you're looking for your dream job, you’re definitely on the right website. Along with short-term training programs that can lead to immediate employment, the California Community Colleges also offer courses and certificates in some of the most sought-after professional industries around. 

Explore Your Options

Head over here and click on “Find a Program” to see which colleges provide the career training you want.

Double-Check Your Unemployment Benefits

Before you go any further, contact your local One Stop Career Center to make sure your benefits will continue while you are enrolled in community college. One Stop Career Center locations can be found on this page. 

360 Assistance

Financial aid is available year-round to cover the cost of community college fees, books, supplies and sometimes even help with the rent. To figure out what types of aid (and how much of it) you qualify for, you must complete the FAFSA or CADAA.

Help Making Ends Meet

Has your income significantly changed due to unemployment? Or are you a recently discharged veteran who is currently unemployed or experienced a decrease in income? Be sure to check with your college financial aid office about a change of income status when applying for financial aid.

While many students can make ends meet and attend school, too many students experience homelessness, unstable housing situations and/or food insecurity.

At community colleges across the country, there is a rapidly growing awareness about the challenges students are facing in meeting their basic needs. And California community colleges are on the front lines, opening food pantries, guiding and supporting students into the CalFresh program, and working with food banks and other nonprofits to help prevent students from going hungry.

For students who are struggling to afford essential needs such as basic housing and food, your local college may offer additional financial support or resources to help. Food pantries, emergency funds, community support and other specialized resources are offered locally by the colleges to help students struggling to pay for basic needs so they can afford to attend college and achieve their higher education and career goals.

To find out what individual programs may be offered at your local college and to get one-on-one help with financial aid, click here.  Financial aid officers can help you fill out the form, understand how to collect the information you need to verify your financial status and get you the financial support services you need.

We're Here for You

Over the last several years, many California students and colleges have been affected by natural and man-made disasters. If you have been affected by fires, floods, earthquakes or other disasters, complete the FAFSA or CADAA and then directly contact your college financial aid office to explain your special circumstances. The college will work with you to determine the next steps you’ll need to take to continue your education, including financial aid. To find out how financial aid can help with your situation, talk with the financial aid professionals at your local community college.

If you are a current or former student at a private college or university that has or will be closing, click here or contact your local community college financial aid office to find out what resources are available to help you continue your education and achieve your higher education and career goals. You should also meet with a counselor to learn about the degree, certificate and transfer programs available at your local community college.

Want free money for groceries?

Calfresh can help get you some extra cash for groceries. It's a California financial aid program that helps students buy food and eat healthier. It won’t affect your existing financial aid and you don’t need your parent's tax return information to apply.

With new COVID19 measures it’s now easier than ever for eligible community college students in California to sign up and receive money every month to help buy groceries. To apply, call 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD) or fill out an application here: